Virginia Hanson (1898-1991) joined the Theosophical Society in 1949 where she was first active in the Washington Branch, of which she was president for several years. She was also president of the Mid-Atlantic Federation and a frequent lecturer for the Society.
During her professional career, Virginia was editor of publications of the Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Department of Justice. Upon her retirement in 1962, she joined the National Headquarters of the Theosophical Society in America, serving first as assistant editor of The American Theosophist, and later as its editor. Under her editorship, the well-known "special issues" of the journal were launched. Mrs. Hanson was named senior editor of the Theosophical Publishing House in 1973 and also directed the Department of Education.
In 1975, Virginia Hanson took up residence at the Krotona Institute in Ojai, CA where she taught classes and continued to write. In 1990 she was awarded the T. Subba Row medal in recognition of her contributions to Theosophical literature, including Masters and Men, and The Reader’s Guide to the Mahatma Letters.